Monday, August 25, 2014

Favorite Dishwasher Detergent

When I first started eliminating toxins from our home, I had a LONG list of products I wanted to change. However, it is impossible (on a budget at least) to make that change all at once. So, I went through that list with a highlighter and decided which products I wanted to replace first.
The first two things I would change were our dish detergent and our clothes detergent.
My thinking was that if I didn't want harsh chemicals in my home, I certainly didn't want to eat off of dishes that were cleaned with them or wear clothes (24 hours a day) with residue from potential toxins! I figured that those two items were the most often used things in my home...so I began there!
I used ewg.org* to help me in the process of finding better alternatives, aside from me making my own. You have to start somewhere, right?

So, now I happily use Seventh Generation powdered dish detergent. It works amazingly well and gets a good "A grade" from ewg! You can buy this online and our local Target carries it in the store. Also, it seems to last forever!! We dump it in a plastic container and use an old protein powder scoop to get it out.

*If you don't know about ewg, it is a website that grades various household products as well as skincare products for saftey, considering each ingredient and it's level of toxicity.


No comments:

Post a Comment